Maatimeet Grameen works in rural Rajasthan with the idea of generating livelihoods in villages. Together with the Centre for Health and Education Reform (our non-profit arm that works on education and runs Masti ki Paathshala, a democratic learning centre), we strive to put an end to migration from rural areas to cities.
Without any intention to blow our own trumpet, I must admit that our livelihoods program is doing quite well. We have started off with stitching of bags, wallets, pouches, organisers, etc. Watch this video of our first livelihoods project.
What I am especially excited about is the upcycling of plastic so as to generate value out of waste, while at the same time relieving Mother Earth of plastic waste. Here are some of our products.
We are now looking for a Production Manager who could come in and give a boost to our work. I have detailed below some of the requirements that come to my mind:
- An ideal candidate should know the intricacies of stitching. Knowledge of embroidery, tie and dye, interlocking, etc, would be an added bonus. We are very keen on upcycling waste, so any knowledge of that would be helpful.
- You should be willing to stay and work in the village. Having spent close to 3 years in the village, I can assure you that the quality of life is far higher in the village.
- You should be passionate about rural development, about leaving a world that is more equal and more fair.
- Your role as a resource person will be to:
- Execute the orders that come in. In doing so, you may have to visit the women in their houses, as women in our villages are seldom allowed to step out.
- Train our women artisans. They already know how to stitch. However, they lack the finesse to make something really nice and beautiful.
- Train girls (and possibly boys) in the villages so as to preserve this art.
- As much as possible, document your knowledge through text, audio and video, or by any other means.
Agar, a village located about 70 kilometres from Jaipur and about 180 kilometres from Gurgaon.
Cash component – Rs 15,000 – Rs 25,000 per month, depending on skills and experience.
- Fresh air, that could increase your life span by about 10 years.
- Beautiful landscape – mountains in front and behind with farms in between the mountains.
- A loving community.
- Get to be a part of something that is going to bring about major positive change (or at least so I think).
- Yes, you will also get free food with grains sourced straight from the farm.
- You will also have a khat to sleep on, so no expenditure on accommodation. We are actively looking for land in the village. Once that happens, we intend to build huts. You could then either have a hut to yourself or you may have to share the hut.
While the cash component may appear to be low, I am reasonably confident that net of expenses, you could save more than what you could in the city. Besides of course, the quality of life up here will be par excellence.
If you are interested, please send me your resume at email@example.com. In the email, please let me know why you find this opportunity exciting enough.
Do note that the website for Maatimeet Grameen is under development. You could of course look up the Facebook page of Masti ki Paathshala, which is where we post both education and livelihoods related news.
I look forward to hearing from you. I am keen to know who God has chosen for me to share the stage with.